[extropy-chat] intelligent design homework

scerir scerir at libero.it
Tue Aug 9 17:17:40 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian:

> Might I posit the Einstein hypothesis to explain the
> Boltzmann paradox. The Einstein hypothesis is simply
> that the early high randomness low entropy state of
> the universe corresponded to the universe being ALIVE
> at that stage.

Alive? Well Boltzmann speculated that a very low entropy
(thus singular, or peculiar, or rare) initial state
of our universe may have arisen as a fluctuation from
an 'abstract' equilibrium universe. So, in a certain sense,
it was already alive, according to Boltzmann.

But Feynman pointed out that the actual size of our
observed universe is too large, by far, for what
is needed according to Boltzman's idea.

We might also imagine that, in that initial (weird)
Planckian era, entropy was not minimal, or maximal,
but both at the same time. As far as I remember
something like this was suggested by Landsberg
and also Frautschi, not sure though.
http://www.maths.soton.ac.uk/applied/research/Thermo.phtml
http://www.aeiveos.com/~bradbury/Authors/Computing/Frautschi-S/

s.

"... it is necessary to add to the physical laws the
hypothesis that in the past the universe was more
ordered, in the technical sense, than it is today -
to make sense, and to make an understanding of the
irreversibility." (R.P.Feynman, in 'The Character
of Physical Law', MIT Press, 1967)