[extropy-chat] NEO deflection

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Wed Aug 10 15:52:23 UTC 2005

On Aug 10, 2005, at 10:04 AM, The Avantguardian wrote:

> A carefully planned operation using very powerful
> chemical or nuclear rockets, solar sails, or even
> shaped nuclear charges could allow for two preferable
> scenarios to "minor deflection".

As far as 'the easiest' goes - my understanding is that a proximity
detonation of a nuclear device would allow the heated side of the
object to become propulsion. Not only would the explosion work to
nudge, but the remaining eminations from the side of the body facing
the detonation could provide thrust for days as it cools.

> The first possibility is that we modify its trajectory
> such that we use the earth's gravity well to sling
> shot it into the moon. Thereby forever eliminating the
> threat from that particular asteroid.

Hm. I like the sound of this and actually finding utility in these
objects. I have a mathless thought to share however: A body on the
Torino scale that has been judged worth of taking action against, is
then sling-shotted around the Earth (requiring more than an
approximation of its mass) and imparted enough energy to leave
Earth's well again, but then strike the moon, which has 1/6g pull.

How much of that final interaction would/could make it back to Earth?
The impact would almost certainly have to end up on the side facing
Earth, given the angles and the required assurance that we don't put
the object in a ballistic orbit.

yes? no?

]3