[extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?

kevinfreels.com kevin at kevinfreels.com
Thu Aug 11 07:11:10 UTC 2005

> > It is simply a word used by people to describe
> > anyone who disagrees with their more liberal point
> of view.
>
> This is totally bogus.  If you can't make a minimal
> effort at writing from a factual basis, then you
> should not participate in the discussion.  Google up
> "neocons", "neoconservative", "Leo Strauss", "Project
> for the New American Century", Likudniks, "A Clean
> Break:
> A New Strategy for Securing the Realm", and do some
> reading.
I have.

> > Not necessarily since many people choose to use the
> > "neo-con" word to imply
> > a person has dreams of religious rule.
>
> You have already demonstrated that you have not sought
> the facts behind neoconservatism.  Now you're making
> broad assertions about the implied meanings--private
> and thus obscure intended meanings-- of "many people"
> regarding a term the meaning of which you are
> demonstrably clueless about.

Amazing how your rant on how stupid everyone was has been reduced the an
argument of the definition of neo-con. I see you had trouble arguing the
other points.
I understand neoconservatism. However, you must understand that the word
gets thrown around in the media in a variety of ways. Ask a laymen what they
think a neo-conservative is and I bet they will tell you something about the
religious right. I may be wrong and it may just be a local bubble I am in
that thinks that way, but as you can see below, the word neo-conservatism is
often tied to religion in a variety of ways.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/EH13Aa01.html
http://www.iratecitizens.org/
http://www.opednews.com/lower031504_bush_religion.htm
http://peaceandjustice.org/article.php?story=20050209165416747&mode=print0
http://www.gayguidetoronto.com/1_shaun/mar_2005.html
http://www.helleniccomserve.com/christianperspectives.html
http://www.rabble.ca/in_his_own_words.shtml?x=37922

However, if you are still in denial that the term is often misused, and
thrown about and that there is no real consensus on the definition of the
word, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism_(United_States)

Pay particular attention to "...in the most extreme form of this view,
neoconservatism has been regarded by some as primarily a movement to advance
Jewish interests. Classic anti-Semitic tropes have often been used when
elaborating this view, such as the idea that Jews achieve influence through
the intellectual domination of national leaders. ..."

Oh, and "Michael Lind, a self-described former neoconservative, wrote in
2004, "It is true, and unfortunate, that some journalists tend to use
'neoconservative' to refer only to Jewish neoconservatives, a practice that
forces them to invent categories like 'nationalist conservative' or 'Western
conservative' ....."

As you can see, I did not make it up or come by this through my ignorance.
Both quotes refer to the same implied meanings made by "some" people. I
admit, I used the word "many" when "some" would have worked just fine. But
as you can see, religion is tied to the word "neo-conservative" quite often.