[extropy-chat] NEO deflection

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 15:41:56 UTC 2005

--- The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Bret Kulakovich <bret at bonfireproductions.com>
> wrote:
>
> > As far as 'the easiest' goes - my understanding is
> > that a proximity
> > detonation of a nuclear device would allow the
> > heated side of the
> > object to become propulsion. Not only would the
> > explosion work to
> > nudge, but the remaining eminations from the side of
> > the body facing
> > the detonation could provide thrust for days as it
> > cools.
>
> Another reason this is a bad idea is that if the rock
> is spinning, then the "emmissions" you speak of would
> cause the orbit to become chaotic and less
> predictable. If we land on the thing, we will be able
> to use timed pulses of thrust to get controllable
> vectoring of the rock. The easiest way is seldomly the
> most useful.

You are right here, but in a previous post, you didn't like turning it
to gravel. Gravel is fine, it can't reach Earths surface. The problem
is really larger rocks in the mix not being pulverized. However, I'd
much rather 1,000 people getting their SUVs whacked in the driveway by
a ten pound rock than the alternative.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com