[extropy-chat] NEO deflection

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 01:42:12 UTC 2005

> --- David Lubkin <extropy at unreasonable.com> wrote:

> > >Apophis will make a very close pass by Earth
> > (roughly 37,000 km) on April
> > >13, 2029.  The deflection of its trajectory by
> > Earth's gravity at that
> > >time will greatly magnify the uncertainty in its
> > orbit, making predictions
> > >of a possible future collision with Earth
> difficult
> > at this time.

Another rather humorous reason why the government
needs to get off its ass and do something about this
early: April 13 is two days before the income tax
filing deadline. I wonder how many people are going to
wait and see if the asteroid hits before they pay
their taxes that year. Provided of course that the
antiquated IRS is still around in 2029.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson