[extropy-chat] Fly Me 'Round the Moon

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 12 14:53:05 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > > Landing on the moon and getting back is about
> > > an order of magnitude more difficult than a
> > > fly-by.  Getting out and hopping around is
> > > about another factor of e in difficulty.
> >
> > If three guys with the equivalent of an 8088 processor can do it,
> one
> > guy with a G4 should be able to do it.
> >
> > Mike Lorrey
>

> The challenge isn't in computing.  The 8088 was sufficient
> for the purpose.  The challenge is in carrying enough
> propellant.  If we need not land and launch from the
> lunar surface, the saving is very great.  If we need not
> insert into lunar orbit and blast back out of it, the
> savings are even greater.  Either way a palm pilot carries
> enough computing power.

Sure, but my plan involves plasma thrusters and a tether, not chemical
engines. Ergo, no fuel problem. The mission will be a little longer,
but one guy has plenty of space for supplies.

The tether can be used to help get out of Lunar orbit, as well, when
the used lunar module needs to be dumped (the tether itself can be
dumped in that maneuver too). The only downside of the tether system is
that it may require a spacewalk to hook up in lunar orbit, though I
have some ideas for an automated system.

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com