[extropy-chat] Annual Celestial Event - Perseid meteor shower

nvitamore at austin.rr.com nvitamore at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 12 15:08:58 UTC 2005

One of my favorite reoccurring events is the celestial Perseid meteor
shower.  Each year I promise myself I will stay up late or get up early to
enjoy a warm cup of cafe', un bon croissant, a sleeping bag or soft surface
to lay on and gaze endlessly upward at the sky.

I have enjoyed the showers on 14,000 foot mountain tops, sailing in the
middle of the Atlantic Ocean, in the deserts of Arizona, in the rock
formations of California ... but no matter the earth-based location, each
year it is a special viewing.

______________________________

"In 2005, the Perseids are expected to reach their maximum on August 12.
Peak activity is unfortunately predicted for the daylight hours across
North America.

Sky watchers are thus encouraged to watch during the predawn hours of
Friday, August 12 and again during the early morning hours of Saturday."
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/space/08/11/perseid.shower/index.html

To "hear" the ping -
http://www.10tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3713886

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_081105_life_meteor_shower.62eae358