[extropy-chat] telomerase immortalized cell lines

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Sat Aug 13 17:07:44 UTC 2005

Am I missing something here or is this a technology with application to
more complex living
cell systems?

http://www.drugdiscoverynews.com/lib/sitefiles/pdf/Issues/January_2005.pdf

PAGE16

MENLO PARK, Calif.—Geron Corp. in January
announced a worldwide license agreement
with Cambrex Bio Science Walkersville Inc.
under which the Cambrex subsidiary will
develop and distribute cell lines that have
been immortalized using Geron’s proprietary
telomerase technology.
“We believe that telomerase-immortalized
cells could bring significant advantages
to the drug screening process. We expect to
develop a range of telomerized cell types to
meet the needs of our customers,” says Dave
Eansor, president of Cambrex Bioproducts.
“We plan initially to market these cells to
our pharmaceutical and biotechnology customers
through our specialized sales team
that has expertise in high-throughput
screening. In addition, telomerized cell systems
will be complementary to our Clonetics
and Poietics normal human cell systems.”
Under the terms of the non-exclusive
agreement, Cambrex Bio Science will develop
telomerized cell lines and associated
products such as media. Cambrex Bio
Science will provide the telomerized cells
under license to customers for life science
research, including drug development activities
such as toxicity testing and highthroughput
screening. Cambrex may also
use telomerized cells for custom drug
screening services. Geron has retained all
rights for the use of telomerized cells in therapeutic
applications.
The agreement also provides Cambrex
with a research license to study the possible
use of telomerized cells for biomanufacturing,
along with an option to enter into a
license agreement for the use of telomerase
in commercial biomanufacturing. Geron
will receive an upfront license fee payment
and royalties on product sales.
“Numerous published research studies
have demonstrated the value of telomerized
cells as tools to study particular genes, pathways,
or cellular responses to drugs,” says
David J. Earp, J.D., Ph.D., Geron’s senior vice
president of business development and chief
patent counsel. “We are now seeing a strong
interest in the use of these cells for drug discovery
within biotechnology and pharmaceutical
companies. Cambrex has a well-deserved
reputation as the leader in producing and
marketing human cell systems to these sectors,
and we are very pleased to have entered
into this agreement with Cambrex.” ◆
Geron in license
deal with Cambrex
for distribution
of telomeraseimmortalized
human cell lines
VISIT US AT LAB AUTOMATION 2005 — BOOTH 915