[extropy-chat] telomerase immortalized cell lines

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 15 04:25:40 UTC 2005

The Avantguardian wrote:

> ... Helen Lang died of
> ovarian cancer several decades ago but her cancer
> cells now called Hela cells are in common use in labs
> throughout the world where they thrive.

This Helen Lang story seems to have acquired legs due to the
He La letters. There are researchers at Melbourne Uni that
think the derivation is the same. Yet I'd heard from what I took
to be a reliable source that the woman's actual name was
Henrietta Lacks. A black woman. Urban myths can obviously
find a place amongst lab researchers too.

Brett Paatsch