[extropy-chat] [Politics] Real Politick

Matus matus at matus1976.com
Tue Aug 16 01:22:09 UTC 2005

Real politick was characterized by valuing stability over everything
else.  Iraq is certainly not an example of that.  The same people who
today demand stability in Iraq are the ones who during the cold war
demanded we leave other countries alone to let them 'choose their own
path' (a path marked by massive communist influence helping them to
'choose their own way')  and the same leftist revisionists who are
worried that a secular Shiite state will form in Iraq with Iran
(nevermind the other 20 are sunni) were the ones who opposed every right
wing dictator the US backed under the guise of stability.  Had we made a
serious effort toward forming liberal democracies in the rest of the
world back then (at best difficult given the practices of assassination
of subversion by soviet agents), instead of following real politik only
we might not be in the mess we are in today.

Which do you prefer, short term stability under blood stained boot heels
or long term stability under constitutions and liberal democracies?
Which one is real politick?

Matus