[extropy-chat] [Politics] Real Politick

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 04:47:50 UTC 2005

On Aug 16, 2005, at 4:43 AM, spike wrote:

>> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Robert Lindauer
>> Of course, western "freedom"(you think you're free?  Go ask the Fed
>> for
>> the same overnight lending rate on the same amount of money that it
>> offers BofA.)...
>
> The Fed takes a lot higher risk on you and me than on BofA.

Not really, BofA turns around and lends it to you and me.

>   What
> has that to do with freedom?

Free is free.

I think I was thinking of an old punk song.  What I should have said
was:  "If you think you're free, try printing your own money or making
your own gasoline or alcohol fuel, or building your own nuclear weapon
or buying a ground-to-air rocket or stop paying taxes or sleep
overnight in a public park, etc."  But, yes, the fed lending money to
BofA is a freedom issue - what's good for the goose is good for the
gander in a "free and equal" society.  "Everyone is created equal" says
the declaration.

>> ... and democracy (you think this is a democracy, try getting
>> an independent recount...
>
> We get those.  See Washington state governor's race 2004.

Sometimes.

>> or even consistent voter registration rules)...
>> Robbie Lindauer...
>
> Those are controlled at the state and local levels.  They
> will naturally be inconsistent.

Until the supreme court butts in whenever they feel like it.  Oddly,
the constitution is normally interpreted your way, except when the
supreme court is adequately stacked.  It does say rather explicitly
that the states shall have the right to govern their own election
processes; section 4, clause 1.

Robbie