[extropy-chat] Politics: Transhumanist Social System

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Aug 19 01:52:07 UTC 2005

At 02:07 PM 8/18/2005, Adrian wrote:
>--- "nvitamore at austin.rr.com" <nvitamore at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > Bottom line:
> >
> > Back to Square One:  We need a political agenda and not one that is
> > alienating the core views of transhumanism, and not one that is
> > watering
> > transhumanism down.
>
>What are the core views of transhumanism?

Improve the human condition I think is a central core viewpoint.

>Are we primarily about
>developing enhancement technologies, and making suitable precautions
>for their detrimental (and beneficial) effects?  Or are we primarily
>about creating the environment in which said development can occur?

I'm not a technician or engineer, so it stands to reason that I would be
more interested in culture and activism.  I think that equally as necessary
as inventing and implementing the technologies is designing our future
through plans and strategies.  Transhumanist have varied skills and talents
with which to design the tools and the strategies.

>Or something else?  Quite a few who call themselves "transhumanist"
>seem to pay at most lip service to the technological side of things,
>although from my point of view it logically appears that the technology
>underlies *everything* we wish to accomplish, and extensive debate over
>the social side (except for the effects of the technology) can be given
>a certain digit when it gets in the way.

Sometimes, yes, but not always.  It is essential to talk about
things.  Often the most valuable aspect of getting things to fruition is in
the conceptual stage.

> > Forward 2 Steps: To create this we need a multi-disciplinary,
> > non-partisian, writing team.
>
>We kind of have one...if the partisan chaff can be separated out of
>this list's content.

I'd like to see it mature and excel.

Best,
Natasha

<http://www.natasha.cc/>Natasha <http://www.natasha.cc/>Vita-More
Cultural Strategist, Designer
Studies of the Future, University of Houston
President, <http://www.extropy.org/>Extropy Institute
Founder, <http://www.transhumanist.biz/>Transhumanist Arts & Culture

Knowledge is the most democratic source of power.  Alvin Toffler
Random acts of kindness... Anne Herbet