[extropy-chat] Real estate as an extropian investment

david deimtee at optusnet.com.au
Sun Aug 21 15:52:58 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

> <snip>
>
>1/3rd-1/4th of the US population is scheduled to die between 2015 and
>2035, and most of them will not accept life extension or cryonic
>suspension.

As far as cryonics go, you are almost certainly right that it will not
be widely
accepted, but I think that if effective anti-aging treatments were
demonstrated
their use would be extremely widespread, very rapidly.

Vast amounts of money are already spent on just looking younger, the demand
to actually be younger would be huge.

I think that the current attitude of "Oh, I wouldn't use it, it's
unethical/sinful/
selfish/etc." is prevalent only because of memes presented that way in the
media, and that while the tech  is not available, there is no cost to
claiming to
be a "moral" person.
So that leaves the question of what progress in anti-aging will be made
in the
next 10 to 30 years?
My guess is 10 years - not much, 30 years - a lot.   That could impact
significantly
on your schedule.

-David T.