[extropy-chat] Museum exhibit allows visitors to get under the skin

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Sun Aug 21 13:24:27 UTC 2005

These kinds of exhibits will help with handling the yuck factor.

Amara

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/20/arts/design/20bodi.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1124629988-7hXXmc6sFi1sFqeX0rOv6w

August 20, 2005
Florida Museumgoers Line Up to See Corpses
By ABBY WEINGARTEN,
New York Times Regional Newspapers

TAMPA, Fla., Aug. 19 - There are skinless cadavers sliced in two,
tarred human lungs in glass cases, dehydrated brains you can
touch. One corpse is posed as a soccer player, balancing on one
foot and exposing the complex connection of bones, tendons and
muscles.

Shrugging off recommendations from a state medical board and the
Florida attorney general, this city's Museum of Science and
Industry opened this educational exhibition of human corpses and
body parts on Thursday, two days earlier than planned. By the
second day, the show, "Bodies: The Exhibition," had drawn about
3,600 visitors.

"Our main reason for opening early was that we've been inundated
with calls and e-mails," said Candace Street, a museum
spokeswoman. But given the opposition of state officials, it was
clear that the museum wanted to admit as many visitors as quickly
as possible - ticket price, $19.95 - in case Florida authorities
moved to close the exhibition.

[read the article for more]

Amara Graps, PhD          email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics     vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers         URL:   http://www.amara.com/