[extropy-chat] FWD [U-Tapao] Re: IS IT TIME TO RATION FUEL?

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Mon Aug 22 05:38:25 UTC 2005

"Terry W. Colvin" wrote:

> Forwarding from another list...
>
> Terry
>

> I agree spomething has to be done.  What was a robust economy will
> soon be in recession or at least diminished growth.  I'm not as bent
> out of shape over the oil companies as they don't set the price of
> oil, they simply drill and refine. I think the commodity traders are
> out of control at the moment.  They drive up the price of oil for
> almost any reason and NONE of them ever happen. So, here are my
> thoughts grounded in the simple fact that for the short term, WE HAVE
> NO CHOICE BUT TO USE OIL.

That we have "No choice but to use oil" seems like arrant economic
nonsense to me.  It doesn't parse even economics 101 level of thinking.

Who the heck is "we" in that sentence?  Price affects demand.

There ARE substitutes to using oil.  Personally we can reduce our demand
for it if its price becomes prohibitive vis a vis alternatives and ditto
macroeconomically.

Another manufactured crisis from the ever expanding bureau of when
in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout !

The oil companies really ought to pay some of these "we are running
out of oil guys" for the free product promotion ;-)

Or perhaps they are trying to spark a run on the 'oil stocks' so they can
short them to the "yes, by golly, thanks for telling me, now I see that we
ARE running out folks" ?

Brett Paatsch