[extropy-chat] Real estate as an extropian investment

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Aug 22 19:35:03 UTC 2005

On Aug 22, 2005, at 12:00 PM, BillK wrote:

> On 8/22/05, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>

>> The distinction is because the retirement system is not set up to
>> deal
>> with people living unusually long into retirement. It is broken right
>> now because too many people are living longer than the system
>> intended
>> or expected. It is not structured to vary the retirement age with
>> average life expectancy. Riks proposal is to give potential retirees
>> the choice: accept Social Security benefits or longevity benefits,
>> not
>> both. This is a good idea, IMHO, but ideally I'd rather up the
>> retirement age immediately (or over a decade) to 70-75, then let it
>> float with the life expectancy. This was attempted partly in the
>> 90's,
>> when it was upped to 67.

The above is only relevant if the retired are living of off
government taxpayer $$.  It misses that most of the retired among
boomers have paid a small fortune in Social (hah!) Security that got
expropriated by the government.  It misses that many of the aged with
some rejuvenation would be able and interested in pursuing careers
and thus decrease any net drain.   Since the SS money is my money I
believ I should receive every penny plus interes that I have paid
into the system in a just world regardless of whether I "need it" or
not and certainly regardless of whether I receive longevity
benefits.  This conversation also seems less than extropic in that in]
t assumes a continuing scarcity economy rather than reaching for more
of an abundance economy.

> See: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4172960.stm>
>
> Young people are in a worse economic position than their parents were
> at their age, according to a new study.

Yes, we are starting to admit obliquely some of the real economic
indicators.  But it is not because more people are old.

> They are paying for the welfare state "without being able to expect
> many of the benefits", Reform says.
>
> They must now pay for their own higher education and save for their
> retirement, while supporting an aging population, the think-tank says.

Not if you get real rejuvenation and longevity treatments any time soon.

> Government policies are "mortgaging the future of a generation," warns
> Mr Bosanquet.
> "This is a really big issue for the country," he said.

Government policies are and have been mortgaging all aspects of the
economy and the future for decades now.  It is still accelerating.
I don't know if it can be stopped and the damage healed before a
quite massive crash.

- samantha