[extropy-chat] Standing on Giants

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Tue Aug 23 13:07:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Brett Paatsch wrote:

> Wasn't it also Newton that said: Aristotle is my friend, Plato is my friend
> but my greatest friend is truth?
>
> Newton may have been lived a long, and useful, but lonely life. Shame
> about the last, if so.

Everything I've read about Newton's personal life (admittedly not
much) implies that he was an unpleasant person - that he used other
people, was rude/mean, held grudges and did not forgive.  His early
life apparently was pretty sad, although given the death rates of the
times was probably not unusual - except that he was so very very
smart. That alone must have made him feel extremely isolated.

When one is mean or rude or uses other people, one tends to be short
of friends.

Regards,
MB