[extropy-chat] petri-meat - managed biosystems

Lifespan Pharma Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Tue Aug 23 14:30:40 UTC 2005

http://www.foodprocessing.com/articles/2005/471.html

I am amazed that the discussion is this far along.
Deconstucting the organism to produce one single food item at a time
still does strike me as simplifying the process.

The feed back loops of tissue and organ systems all work for cheap as
compared to the  factory/lab
biomass production plant as I understand it anyway.

Instead of separating out the meat from the organism I would concentrate
on implantable wireless systems to remotely monitor and override
biological systems.  I would ruggedize the biosystems of food producing
species to make their growth self sustaining without any more
outsideinputs than absolutely necessary.

I would accelerate their growth and reproductive processes  and decrease
their neurological development to
complement the biochip overrides.

As well the digestive  organism symbiosis can be manipulated to increase
the efficiency of conversion of
raw materials to biomass.

The term factory or lab does not seem as appropriate as "containment
facility".

We might indeed be creating giant nematodes which reproduce asexually
upon chemical stimulus only for example.

This system would draw from all forms of agriculture to converge into
managed biosystems.
A combination of a fish farm, plant-based biopharmaceutical farm,
feedlot and free range technologies all applicable to
some part of the process.

Some of these biotypes might be animal-plant hybrid-like and combine
photosynthesis, with fermentation
and designer-switched/on off pathways for various biochemical production
traits.

Not agriculture the way we out here ever conceived of it for sure.