[extropy-chat] is spreading ones own genes relevant, or just an anachronism ?

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 20:20:44 UTC 2005

On 8/23/05, user <user at dhp.com> wrote:

> I am informed by both my own (very powerful) instinctual urges and
> tendencies, and by works of authors (such as Jared Diamond in The 3rd
> Chimpanzee) that it is my goal to spread my genetic material, or progeny,
> as far and as wide and as varied as possible.
>
> This information suggest that I am a winner in this game/race in as much
> as i spread my own genes, and a loser inasmuch as I do not.  In fact, JD
> suggests in that book that the ultimate loser is the individual who spends
> energy raising the offspring of an non-relation instead of its own
> offspring.
>
> So my question is:
>
> - in a post-technology, but pre-singularity world, should I be thinking,
> on any level, about this particular progeny contest ?  Or is it, even now
> in a pre-singularity world, a hopeless anachronism ?

Post singularity, genes=memes.
Fail in either pre-singularity and you are still a loser.

As for why people want to breed themselves out of existence, think
'short term stupidity'.
As for what you should read, allow me to make a thoroughly
objectionable suggestion - seek out intelligently written racist
viewpoints and consider them without the conditioned kneejerk
response.

Dirk