Oxygenating the flame in threads was Re: [extropy-chat] a futurist prediction

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Thu Aug 25 01:04:47 UTC 2005

> Here's a 'prediction': One of us replies, others of us contradict,
> Iraq, idiot, killfile; lather, rinse, repeat. It's threadjacking run
> amok.

You are an active agent in keeping that process going. You choose
which threads you want to inflame with the oxygen of your
attention to them.  Thats part of the dynamics of a list.

You don't have to reply to any post or to any poster its entirely
optional. You can keep a database of posts and posters if you
want and reply only to those you want to reply to.

You can give a person a warning that they are going beyond what
you find acceptable to you, either in rudeness or in level of noise
and if they don't heed the warning you can ignore them. But if you
step in to shut them up, you oxygenate their flame.

Shunning was a very effective form of feedback in tribal villages
as I understand. Violence and censorship wasn't necessary, the
simple withdrawal of attention was enough.

Heck even the metaphor of Heaven has gates on it.

> There are wonderful things going on out there, and things that are
> going to move us forward. While all the energy goes in, the thread
> bleeds into neighboring discussions, and good news is deadended. It's
> like yelling down a hole sometime.

Re the hole, I can imagine, but I'll have to take you word for it.

Re the out there. Sure.

> I mean hey, ignore my post. The Flying Spaghetti Monster heard my
> plea no doubt =)

Your post provides an opportunity to comment on a means for
improving list quality without censorship. If someone is excessively and
constistently rude or boring just ignore them. Warn them if you like and
if they don't heed you, just stop talking to them.

Perhaps spend *your* time like its *yours* to spend and a resource of
value, and the rest can take care if itself.

You find the content boring but the people potentially worth talking to
post another thread and see if the marketplace picks it up.

Brett