Oxygenating the flame in threads was Re: [extropy-chat] a futurist prediction

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Aug 26 08:55:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 10:46:59AM +0930, Emlyn wrote:
> On 26/08/05, The Avantguardian <avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > My idea is similar, only people vote by filtering the
> > offender rather than having some sort of organized
> > balloting. You are the computer guy, Eugen, so can
> > this be done?
>
> IANAE, but here are my two cents...
>
> Filters are passive client side things, so there's no way to detect their use.

I am not a computer guy, but there are simple means, they've been
discussed many years ago, on this list.

A way would be to patch Mailman to attach voting URLs at the bottom of
each message with
unique tracking ID for each user and message, and a table
to keep scores user vs. user, and a settable score threshold
(zero=no filtering) a poster needs to be over in the table
for messages to come through.

This is something Cryonet is doing, but it's broken (only digest, need
to jump through hoops to obtain authentication code, global scoring function
instead of personal one for each user).

You can add clustering algorithms later on.

I'm soon away for the weekend, so responses will be slow.