[extropy-chat] Fear of Death Much Worse Than You Think

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 26 23:30:01 UTC 2005

Robin Hanson wrote:

> I've heard that biologists have decided that they should not
> debate creationists in public forums, because doing so just
> gives creationists credibility. This is a very standard approach,
> and so it must work on average, but it still seems less than
> cricket to me.

I can relate to the 'its not cricket' sentiment, but I think
professional biologists (as a class) are managing their time like
they know they are mortals. [Aside: It the time management
aspect that I think is not recognized and weighted enough in
your papers on why people disagree. ]

Biology teachers, the university ones I know, prefer to talk to
and encourage students who they think are genuinely engaging
with the *relevant* material. There is a lot of real biology to
learn and a lot of good that can come from teaching the next
generation of biologists, who go on to become doctors and
researchers.

The same would apply to economics teachers too I imagine.
I suspect all good teachers with a real passion for their subject
will warm to the students that ask intelligently formulated
questions, not like "huh?" and not like "how can we avoid
seeing intelligent design in this" when the student hasn't really
taken a good look to begin with.

Just like lawyers sometimes take time to do pro bono work,
biologists do sometimes take time to debate creationists some
of them join sceptics societies and such.

I think fear of death and awareness of mortality are associated.
Mortals that are aware of their mortality value their time and the
quality of their experiences and relationships.

Brett Paatsch