[extropy-chat] Tiny autonomous aircraft, again.

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sat Aug 27 21:39:15 UTC 2005

Please have a look that the BBC article:

The main points are:
   tiny: (6 inches)
   autonomous
   quiet
   reconfigurable wing geometry.

We've seen this all before, but it appears to be getting very real. In
my opinion, near-term deployment would use human remote pilots. The
autonomy stuff is sexy but not fundamental. The researchers focus on
autonomous flight. That's a nice academic goal, but in reality,
real-time evaluation of the information will require a human, so you may
as well have a human pilot to perform both functions.

These little "birds" would be a great adjunct to a pervasive system of
fixed cameras.