[extropy-chat] Re: Are dwarfs better for long duration spaceflight?

ben benboc at lineone.net
Mon Aug 29 21:20:59 UTC 2005

As far as i'm aware, dwarfism is a medical condition, not just a
variation of height. I think there are at least potential cardiac
problems, possibly other things too. Dwarfs tend to live shorter lives
than most people. I think it would be inadvisable to send dwarfs (isn't
it 'dwarves', or is that just in fantasy stories?) into space. Would
they be able to hack the training?. I have a feeling that it might not
be a good idea to subject a dwarf to 6g or whatever they do in those
centrifuges.

Anyway, i'd doubt that the saving in consumables would offset the cost
of redesigning just about everything on a spacecraft to suit smaller people.

Chopping the astronauts' legs off seems a better solution. Legs are
pretty useless in free fall. You could stitch them back on again when
they land. Maybe.

ben