[extropy-chat] Re: Are dwarfs better for long durationspaceflight?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 31 14:53:21 UTC 2005

Welcome back Henrik.  {8-]

> ... once the expedition reaches a planetary surface dwarfism will be
> a negative if the astronauts has to do any EVA on the surface, Space
suits,
> gravity and very short extremities probably don't mix well...

Agreed.  The mission I have in mind does not land on the
surface.  The delta V needed to do that makes the whole
plan out of the question.  Or rather it makes the mission
a one-way trip, which has it's own negative aspects.

> Nope can't really argue against, perhaps on a more mundo point, if we send
> such a minisized expedition what can they do when it arrive to ie mars? As
> a solo expedition not much at all...

Much at all.  We need a real-time robot controller on the
construction site.

We earth creatures are 2 to 15 minutes away down here, so the
robots need a great deal of autonomy, which limits their ability
to build things.  But with someone right there making decisions,
controlling machines on the surface, much more can be accomplished.

> Apart from the dwarfs this has been the next big space project for far to
> long.
>
> /henrik

Right on Henrik!  I don't see why we went into the long and
nearly useless space station project instead of this.  I think
it was too much for people to get their minds out of the Apollo-style
three guys, three days, flags and footprints mission designs.