[extropy-chat] Qualia should be blatantly obvious, very simple, and crystal clear.

Jack Parkinson isthatyoujack at icqmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:55:16 UTC 2005

> From: Marc Geddes <marc.geddes at gmail.com>

> I believe that I am the only person on Earth who  understands qualia at
> this
> time. -But if I'm deluded then I'm in good company - all the other
> scientists and philosophers failed too- ;)

The above 'if' is not representative of a diminishingly small possibility I
suspect.

But moving on...

When I Googled, 'Qualia bullshit' I only got 396 hits, 'Qualia bollocks' got
215, ' Qualia crap' gets way too many hits - over 17,000 - so to be fair you
really must add 'philosophy' to narrow the field to a little over 500 hits.
Then you get:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7rlxx/bt03/id8.html

(extract) ...   'If you had to choose, would you rather eat
poo-flavored-chocolate or chocolate-flavored-poo?'
'First, I had to clarify some of the background conditions. Would the poo
make me sick?
No.
Would it be human poo?
Yes.
Would the poo really taste like chocolate, and have the consistency and
texture thereof?
Yes.
Would the real chocolate taste just like real poo, and look like real poo?
Yes.
Would the real chocolate make me sick?
No (except for possible attendant nausea of course).
Would the poo be yours?
Maybe.
Would the poo be like dark or milk chocolate?
Just answer the question!
The answer is obvious, and goes down easy. I'd eat the poo.
Why?
Because it tastes like chocolate, and it won't make me sick, whereas the
chocolate would taste like poo...'

This the trouble with qualia discussions. You need to digest some pretty
awful things. You may well choose gross over sanity and normality and call
it logical - and yet all the time you know it's only a psychological
construct standing between you and a shitty reality...

Jack Parkinson