[extropy-chat] Qualia Bet.

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Fri Dec 2 08:55:41 UTC 2005

"Eliezer SO. Yudkowsky" <sentience at pobox.com>

 > So your machine is malfunctioning and producing bad
> information about your brain.

No, you're not getting out of this that easily. You say a machines such as I
described in Acme's as operating is possible, but the trouble is  I have
 absolutely positively 100% no reason to think my machine is not one of
those wonderful perfect machines you were talking about. Well, I dare you,
I double dog dare you, show me even a hint that my machine is objectively
wrong.

In fact I know with absolute positive certainty that my machine is one of
those evil pristine perfect entities, I know this because a demigod told it
to me in a dream, a demigod who was born on December 25.

I am referring of course to Isaac Newton.

> Do you really think that you can disagree with me
> without  there being any readable sign of it in your
> neural configuration?

I don't know if I can really think that or not, you'll have to wait while I
see what the machine says I think; and that machine is every bit as good as
the marvelous STM microscope you were talking about, in fact it's one hell
of a lot better.

> Can you change from disagreeing to agreeing while
> your brain  remains constant?

I have no idea, why ask me? I am not the ultimate authority on what I agree
or disagree with; the new Acme Corporation's new top of the line model
2186 Brain Neural Analyzing Machines is the one to ask what I believe.

  John K Clark