[extropy-chat] Stupid luddites oppose home cyclotrons...

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 13:28:20 UTC 2005

On 12/1/05, Jay Dugger <jay.dugger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Nanomedicine Volume 1: Basic Capabilites, [157-58]

Ok, Jay wins the prize.  Gd-148 is the preferential power source for
'nuclear' nanorobots.  Jef gets a honorable mention (half a drink?).

Why does one want 'nuclear' nanorobots?  Normally one could power nanorobots
from fuel cells that 'burn' glucose, but there are certain survival
applications such as warming one up when one gets caught in an avalanche,
falls through the ice over a lake or overboard at sea, gets stuck in some
historic building which hasn't been nano-reinforced during an earthquake,
etc. when having long term power sources "on-board" enhances ones survival
probability.

There are of course "nano-terrorist" applications as well.

Gd-148 will be the plutonium of the singularity age...

Robert

P.S. I do have my copy of NM V. I 'on the shelf'.  It, Nanosystems, The
Spike, Why We Age and TSIN were the books which physically came with me on
my recent relocation across the country.  Oh yes, and for those of you were
wondering airport security doesn't seem to care if your carry-on bag
contains 10 3.5" hard drives.