[extropy-chat][conc] Net connection query: DSL & V4 IP addresses

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 2 20:31:58 UTC 2005

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > > they want. Also by the way, if you're using a consumer connection
> the
> > > terms of
> > > service will almost always ban you from running any kind of
> "server"
>
> Then you've gots a really lousy ISP and I suggest you finds yerself a
> better one.

The point is that most consumer connection ISPs (at least in the
US) are, as you put it, really lousy.  They're also cheap.  You
get what you pay for.  The ones that aren't lousy - that don't
forbid you from running servers - are more expensive (again, at
least in the US), to the point that most small businesses
(including home businesses) that have their own server on the
public 'Net (for email, Web, or whatever) prefer to rack-mount at
a colocation facility.

> I pay a pretty penny for my service. I don't pay for the ISP to be
> breaching the terms of contract, and starting traffic shaping,
> blocking,
> or wrongful termination, and other shenanigans. I think I would be
> not amused. I might even sue.

They "really lousy but cheap" ISPs specify (or at least imply so
well that I recall it standing up in court) in their contracts
that they may traffic shape, block, and - if they find you
running server - terminate your service.  If you run a server
using those connections, you're the only one breaching contracts.