[extropy-chat] effing

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 2 22:43:27 UTC 2005

Does anyone see value in this idea of Locke's?

"Secondly, the power that a body has, by reason of its imperceptible
primary qualities, to operate in a special way on one of our senses,
thereby producing in us the different ideas of various colours, sounds,
smells, tastes, etc. These are usually called sensible qualities. ·
I call them secondary qualities." - John Locke

We like to talk about our "powers of observation" but consider that we
really have no powers of observation.

I have powers to *analyse* my observations but I am completely at the
mercy of the world with respect to observation itself. I have no choice
but to see snow as white and the sky as blue. These qualia-type qualities
are powers of the objects of my observation.

-gts