[extropy-chat] baloney in the memetic superstructure

David McFadzean davidmc at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 04:34:52 UTC 2005

On 12/3/05, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> A very credible looking medical research site claimed
> there have been 8 known cases that can be classified as
> fatal LSD overdose, with no other medical issues and no
> other drugs involved.  These were thought to have
> occurred in those rare cases where the victim had a
> very large amount of LSD in the unusual form that
> could be mistaken for cocaine, and had ingested a very large
> amount up the old schnozzola.  In those cases the victim
> inhaled huge amounts, hundreds of times the ordinary
> LSD dose.  Even Timothy Leary would have dropped out
> permanently.

Spike, I did a search too and came across the case I think you
reference on http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_dose.shtml

Notably, none of the 8 died. "With supportive care, all patients recovered."

Coma, hyperthermia, and bleeding associated with massive LSD overdose,
a report of eight cases.
Klock JC, Boerner U, Becker CE.
Clin Toxicol 1975;8(2):191-203
[ Abstract ]

    Eight patients were seen within 15 min of intranasal
self-administration of large amounts of pure D-lysergic acid
diethylamide (LSD) tartrate powder. Emesis and collapse occurred along
with sign of sympathetic overactivity, hyperthermia, coma, and
respiratory arrest. Mild generalized bleeding occurred in several
patients and evidence of platelet dysfunction was present in all.
Serum and gastric concentrations of LSD tartrate ranged from 2.1 to 26
ng/ml and 1000 to 7000 mug/100 ml, respectively. With supportive care,
all patients recovered. Massive LSD overdose in humans is
life-threatening and produces striking and distinctive manifestations.