[extropy-chat] forwarded comments on security systems

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 09:29:11 UTC 2005

On 12/4/05, spike wrote:

> Former ExI poster Mike Lorrey wrote:

<snip good comments on security>

> No security system is a substitute for a .45 caliber at deterring those
> intent on no good. Of course, you can't shoot bullets over a computer
> network... or can you? Few people have noticed that the powers that be have
> essentially imposed total victim disarmament on the internet. They do not
> allow a 2nd Amendment when it comes to the internet. You may not fry,
> defensively, the systems of an intruder, with viruses, trojans, worms, etc.
> without commiting a crime to do so.
>
> Is it any wonder, then, that the net is rife with spam, viruses, trojans,
> worms, dos attacks, spyware, malware, and many thousands of technology
> crimes every day? No, it isn't, because very few of the perpetrators are
> ever caught. We saw a Russian spammer beaten to death in his apartment
> earlier this year, but that was as likely done by a competitor of his. Once
> in a while a hacker is arrested. A malware perp is busted. Sony comes under
> investigation, but if a person exercises their right of affirmative defense
> against hackers, he commits a crime in the eyes of the 'law'.

The problem with retaliation over the internet is that you rarely can
find the source to attack. One virus writer spreads to millions of
forwarding computers. Spam is sent by thousands of infected computers.
Most times you would just be destroying computers used by the clueless
or less careful users.  Everyone who got a new computer would be like
a newbie joining an online shooter game and getting killed within
minutes.  Sign on to the internet, ten minutes later you get a virus,
twenty minutes later some vigilante fries your hard disk?

Or, say you talked someone into breaking into Mike's house? Pretending
it was your house and you'd locked your keys inside. Does gullibility
justify the death penalty?

Extreme penalties require the commission of extreme crimes.

BillK