[extropy-chat] FWD (SK) RFC: copy protection report

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 4 17:43:22 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> The FCC should be disbanded as utterly useless and in the way.  Their
>
> "powers" are arbitrary and pernicious.    What exactly do they do
> that needs doing and that wouldn't be done better by a free market?

Make sure no one corporation owns all the TV stations or similar
media outlets in any area with more than a few of them (which
would let them impose legal censorship - corporations not being
governed by the First Amendment).

Keeps people from jamming various frequencies, intentionally or
unintentionally, so that certain forms of wireless communication
don't work.

And that's just off the top of my head.  One might wonder if
their mission, justified by the scarcity of resources in any
communications medium, is obsolete with respect to the Internet,
but radio, TV, and newspapers do still exist offline.