[extropy-chat] Perpetuity Law & Cyronic Preservation

Brandon Reinhart transcend at extropica.com
Tue Dec 6 01:19:14 UTC 2005

I'm currently researching cyronics as an option for myself. I am interested
in the current set of case law regarding cyronics as well as the
relationship between corporate and trust law and cyronics.

In particular, I am interested in any links or information regarding state
and federal perpetuity laws, trust funds, corporate holdings, and cyronics
companys.

These questions stem from thought exercises regarding the transference of
wealth in a pre and post-death environment. For example, if I were to die or
know that I was going to die, would it be possible to transfer my personal
wealth to a corporation held in part by myself and a cryonics company. This
corporation could operate under certain rules of conduct, allowing the
cryonics company to use the funds in certain situations. For example, if the
cryonics company were facing terminal financial ruin, they would be able to
access corporate funds to help stay in operation. (This would apply to the
maintenance of all the preserved, to protect me from litigation upon
revival. I.e.: if they can only use the funds to make sure my tank isn't
switched off, I could potentially be sued by the families of the preserved
who were switched off.) The cryonics company would then return control of
the holding company's assets upon my revival. Ideally, there would be some
program for the vesting of assets held by the company.

I'm certain this kind of thinking isn't new, so I'm curious what direction
it's taken so far. I haven't found much by googling, although I did discover
the "Reanimation Foundation." They claim to create personal trusts in
Lichtenstein, which supposedly has no perpetuity laws. I have no idea if
this entity is solvent in 2005. Most references to them are early 90s and
refer to compuserve.com email addresses!

Certainly, I would expect companies like Alcor to have pursued research in
this direction. It seems like a potential way to help secure their company's
survival, while also securing the future of those who have chosen cyronic
preservation.

I suspect there are members of this list much more experienced with the
issues in question so any direction would be greatly appreciated.

(I also posted this to ImmInst.org cryonics forum.)