[extropy-chat] effing

Acy Stapp acy.stapp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 02:34:36 UTC 2005

On 12/5/05, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 13:18:37 -0500, Acy Stapp <acy.stapp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Here's where I disagree. The snow does not look white...
>
> Philosophy sometimes causes people to say funny things. :)

OK, let's do a thought experiment. Assume you are red/green color
blind. Both red and green objects are the same color, which I will
call 'reen'. I hand you two balls, one red and one green. You observe
that they are both reen. I reply that one is red and one is green, and
that neither ball has reenness. In fact, to me the quale of reen is
nonsensical.

Nanosanta arrives and everyone suddenly has perfect tricolor vision.
Does the quale of reen still exist? [1]

Acy

[1] I hate to put it this way because most mammals (squirrels and
primates excepting) are r/g colorblind and I assume that some of them
experience reen. I would rather say "... still exist in humans?". Or
just assume that we uplift all of the mammals to human-equivalent
color vision.
--
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those
who have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw