[extropy-chat] World map of GM stategic planning and policies.

Lifespan Pharma/Morris Johnson CTO megao at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 6 22:51:07 UTC 2005

That is the basis of roundup resistant crops.
One chemical replaces many and in this case is so innocuous a compound
that the surfactant/carrier is actually
more of a health hazard than the herbicide.

Roundup was a bit of a fluke though.  It was just a simple, cheap to
make compound that could be sold for a shitload of money
because it was one of a kind.  Then as luck had it nature already had
resistant genes in the backwoods and cooincidentally
the gene was easy to work with and actually worked when transferred
into a whole whack of unrelated plants.
In 34 years we have not seen anything with those attributes come along
again.

Now in the GMO world the only thing rivalling roundup that could be
created would be a singel gene for perennialism and
environmental ruggedness that would make numerous annuals into high
performing perennials.
That would revolutionize the energy in VS energy out agricultureal
production equation.
Making ethanol and oil based biodiesel from  high input annual crops is
a disaster of the highest magnitude in the making.
If the energy equation could be shifted by one decimal point ag biotech
would replace conventional  biomaterial sources
and would change world economics as much as the microchip changed
computation.

We live in Saskatchewan where I am told there  is in the works a nuclear
reactor or 2 to put the tar sands into full
production as well as one of the world's most plentyful sources of
uranium , but still we have to plan for what to do once
that is all extracted and we are left with declining production from
ever more marginal energy reserves.

When I sit down to give our government advice that is where my thoughts
come from.

Morris