[extropy-chat] Firefox time-saver tip

Herb Martin HerbM at learnquick.com
Wed Dec 7 00:05:24 UTC 2005

Robert Bradbury wrote:
<< For those of you who have made the transition to Firefox, you will notice
that after the common URL entry box at the top there is an additional entry
box to the right of it.  This box has a pulldown menu for search engines
(Google, Yahoo, Amazon, eBay, etc.).  So rather than taking several clicks
to pull up an additional query page you can type in what you want to query
for (e.g. Rose MR) and select which search engine you want to use from the
pull down menu.  The interesting thing is that they have made this so it can
be user-extended. >>

Cool.  I mostly use Firefox for website compatibility testing but I do use
it some.

<< So, if from the pull-down menu, I select "Add Engines" I go to [1] and
can add search engines like WebMD or Ask Jeeves.  But more importantly, I
can query a database [2] to see if someone has created an interface to
databases I often use.  And sure enough [3] points out that there are
interfaces to PubMed Central, NCBI PubMed and PubMed Books.  For the typical
PubMed interface one wants to add (click on) the "NCBI PubMed" (
<http://nlm.nih.gov/> nlm.nih.gov) [4] and it will show up in your personal
search engine list. >>

<<I suspect if one wants you could easily do things like tailor this to
interfaces to search public lists (local newspapers, TV stations, etc.) and
private lists (e.g. organization memberships, patient lists, etc.)  Not a
breakthrough of monumental proportions but a clear time saver for those who
function under time constraints.>>

If you wish to customize how Firefox views individual webpages it seems
you really should look at GreaseMonkey (pretty cool idea and it may change
the Web in large ways):

 <http://www.nivi.com/blog/article/greasemonkey-and-business-models>
Greasemonkey will blow up business models (as well as your mind)
 <http://www.nivi.com/blog/article/greasemonkey-and-business-models/>
http://www.nivi.com/blog/article/greasemonkey-and-business-models/

Or this link from  Reddit which is a blog pointer site of quite a bit of
interest
to me (and possibly to those on this list):

http://reddit.com/goto?id=15970

Reddit  <http://reddit.com/> http://reddit.com/     (seriously worth trying)

--
Herb Martin