[extropy-chat] Transhumanist Community

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 11:05:02 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, Brandon Reinhart <transcend at extropica.com> wrote:

> 1. Favoring email lists instead of open forums.

For me, web forums are a nonstarter for a very simple reason: there are just
_too damn many_ of them to have a prayer of keeping track.

Of course there are a number of mailing lists too, but Gmail gathers them
all into one place so I only have one thing to keep track of.

For web forums to work for me, one of three things would need to happen:

1) All the people who want to create forums get together and agree that they
will create just one forum between them. Obviously this isn't going to
happen.

2) Forums provide an option to get messages by email. This would be quite
straightforward to implement (especially since read-only would be quite
adequate, the mail could contain a link "click here to go to the web site if
you want to reply"), just needs someone to sit down and do it. (Not me,
unfortunately; I'm snowed under with my own projects.)

3) Someone to create a service that provides centralized access to forums
the way Gmail does for mailing lists (either by making them all look like a
single forum, or by making them look like mailing lists). Again this would
be quite straightforward, hopefully someone with more free time than me will
implement it eventually.

- Russell