[extropy-chat] effing

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 15:30:52 UTC 2005

As is often the case when I fool around with philosophy, it turns out that
my ideas here with respect to Locke have already been explored by people
far more qualified than me.

"Color realism" is discussed in this article:

http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/nthomas/col-real.htm

Color realism is the view that colors are really "out there" in the world
for us to perceive. Tomatoes don't merely look red; tomatoes really *are*
red.

In Locke's terms tomatoes have the secondary quality or power of redness.
To a color realist this red quality of tomatoes is primary or real.

Qualia are then just our senses perceiving the real objective qualities of
objects. Apparently this is also what Dennett means when he denies the
existence of qualia.

-gts