[extropy-chat] against ID

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 07:32:02 UTC 2005

We should really say SD (Stupid Design), there is a lot to be improved
in the current release. Improving it is what this list is about.
Now concerning whether I am or not against ID, or better SD, of course
I am against it, but with some caveats.
One is not for or against a scientific theory like one is for or
against a football team. In science, "I am for theory X" means "on the
basis of the results of the experiments which have been performed so
far, their analysis and interpretation by scientists I respect, and my
own reasoning, I think theory X may be (more) useful (than former
theory Y) as a model of reality". Or something like that, you see what
I mean.
Now suppose ID/SD is formulated like: "I believe there is sufficient
experimental evidence against Darwin´s hypothesis that random mutation
and selection processes are sufficient to explain today's biology,
therefore I think we should consider also other possible processes,
including purposeful design by intelligent entities", it becomes a
scientific statement. Of course I would wish to know what the
experimental evidence is. I might take it seriously as I have some gut
feeling that four billion years are not enough to produce a human from
single cell organisms on the basis of classic Darwinian processes
alone. I might then consider ID-like hypotheses, such as design by
aliens in this or a higher level universe (like, we are their SIMS).
Of course, ID/SD is not presented as a scientific theory, but only on
the basis of religious dogma. Moreover, the current push for ID is
really a political process that must be seen in the context of the
more general push for the talibanization of the US society. Therefore,
I am against ID.
G.