[extropy-chat] against ID

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Dec 8 18:04:01 UTC 2005

At 03:50 AM 12/8/2005 -0500, gts wrote:

>Whereas science in Kansas once meant:
>
>"seeking natural explanations for what we observe around us"
>
>It now means:
>
>"continuing investigation that uses observation, hypothesis testing,
>measurement, experimentation, logical argument and theory building to lead
>to more adequate explanations of natural phenomena."
>
>The second definition seems on the surface to be quite reasonable, perhaps
>even an improvement on the first, but it lacks the requirement that
>science be about *natural explanations*. In Kansas, *any* explanation for
>natural phenomena now qualifies as science, including for example
>astrology as an explanation for human personality.

But what is your objection to examining astrology as an explanation for
human personality?

Theoretically, it seems incoherent with a current understanding of the size
and dynamics of the cosmos, whereas it once appeared at least superficially
possible, given the limited understanding of the size of the cosmos in
cultures that originated and first supported astrology.

Empirically, current versions of astrology are inconsistent with each
other, and usually lack empirical support when tested rigorously.

The first objection is grave, but hardly a knockdown argument, since our
understanding of the cosmos is constantly modified precisely through the
activity of science, and if anything we seem to learn more each year about
unexpected connections between phenomena at various scales.

The second objection is not a reason for rejecting astrology apriori as
unscientific, but rather for showing it to be testable but false. On the
other hand, certain quasi astrological claims (those of the Gauquelins, for
example, concerning the so-called "Mars effect") have proved to be
unnervingly robust, even when tested by sceptics.

On the whole, I think I rather prefer the second formulation to the first.
Giving priority to "natural" explanations might seem sensible, given the
success of materialist reductionist explanatory schemata compared to the
frailty and sterility of allegedly non-materialist "holist" models, but it
risks premature theoretical foreclosure.

"Natural" is a word to be wary of. Don't forget the spurious moral
objections to homosexuality, for example, on the grounds that such
practices are allegedly "unnatural". Granted, this is not the same value
for "natural" as the usage above, but does stem from the same logical
problem, the "naturalistic fallacy".

More simply still: if empirical evidence, to the surprise of most
scientists, turned out to link personality types with subtle annual
regularities of the general kind advanced by astrologers, and gave rise to
elegant theory consistent with the rest of physics and psychology,
astrology would suddenly become "natural".

If it turned out that the emergence and development of primitive life on
Earth, indeed throughout the cosmos, had been massively accelerated by
Singularity Minds that emerged swiftly in the storm immediately following
the big bang, this explanation would be no less "natural" than
domestication by farmers and stock breeders, and certainly inconsistent
with the witterings of the IDers, yet it doesn't seem to fall easily and
intuitively into either current classification.

Damien Broderick