[extropy-chat] Greetings

Derek Zahn DerekZahn at msn.com
Fri Dec 9 03:30:01 UTC 2005

Hello all.

Back in the mists of time (early-mid 90s) I was a subscriber to this list; i vaguely recall some very intersting discussion.  I was a moderately frequent contributor to the email conversations, briefly hosted the ExI-Essay FTP archive, wrote a book review (I believe) for an issue of Extropy, produced the artwork for the cover of an issue of Extropy, was sort of a copy editor/formatter for the Extro 1 conference proceedings, and wrote a couple essays for that old essay list.  Then a Bad Thing happened to me and I drifted out of sight, out of memory.

My primary interest has always been AI (I was a PhD student in AI back then), and I recently was woken up from a temporary slumber when I read about the specs of the upcoming PS3 gaming machine -- in terms of raw flops, the standard projections for processing power (if not storage or bandwidth) got a kick in the butt by the gaming industry the last few years, and it might almost be time to start paying attention again to AI again.

Anyway, I have resubscribed to the list.  I'm glad to see some old faces still around (Max, Hal, Amara, Robin, etc), sad to see a few who are not (Nick Szabo, Tom Morrow, and I understand that Sasha Chislenko passed away, what a pity), and a few names I don't see that I don't miss much :-)

I have a few materials from the time that the Bad Thing happened to me -- alas all I was able to find is a program from the Extro 2 conference, a hardcopy of a paper titled "Human Life Extension 1995 - The State Of The Art" by Chris Heward, and a floppy with a paper titled "A History of Extropic Thought: Parallel Conceptual Development of Technicism and Humanism" by Reilly Jones.  If any of this material is valuable to the Extropy Institute I'll be happy to send it to you.  I see that much material from those early years seems to be lost.

derek
whose qualia, lights in a mirror reflected and re-reflected, shine bright