[extropy-chat] against ID

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 04:20:01 UTC 2005

I have not yet read the article about Lakatos, but it seems that if ID
ever gets to the Supreme Court that Popper's falsification principle will
rule the day:

"Ordinarily, a key question to be answered in determining whether a theory
or technique is scientific knowledge that will assist the trier of fact
will be whether it can be (and has been) tested. "Scientific methodology
today is based on generating hypotheses and testing them to see if they
can be falsified; indeed, this methodology is what distinguishes science
 from other fields of human inquiry." Green, at 645. See also C. Hempel,
Philosophy of Natural Science 49 (1966) ("[T]he statements constituting a
scientific explanation must be capable of empirical test"); K. Popper,
Conjectures and Refutations: The Growth of Scientific Knowledge 37 (5th
ed. 1989) ("[T]he criterion of the scientific status of a theory is its
falsifiability, or refutability, or testability")."

Daubert v. Merrell Dow 509 U.S. 579 (1993).

(Found this in a discussion at
http://yglesias.typepad.com/matthew/2005/11/poppers_hegemon.html)

I have seen general criticisms of Popper by Lakatos and similar to which
Popperians would respond that Popper's views are a prescription to
science, not a description of it.

I'm drawn to Popper because he rejects positivism as the central tenet of
science, allowing science to escape the ID charge of being a form of
religion, at least as positivists themselves might define the word, and
because in general I like his idea of evolutionary epistemology. From what
I hear, memetics is dead or on hold because of questions about how the
science should proceed, but I think Popper's basic theory of knowledge
should survive and multiply. (Now that I think of it, perhaps his theory
answers the ontology problem in memetics: it suggests that memes are
better understood as objective virus-like behaviors than as subjective
virus-like ideas.)

One could say evolution is about finding solutions to the problem of
survival through trial and error. This is  also Popper's view of how
science progresses. It will be sweet to watch anti-evolution defeated by
evolution. Problem solved.

-gts