[extropy-chat] against ID

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Dec 9 04:34:54 UTC 2005

On Dec 8, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Robert Bradbury wrote:

> On 12/7/05, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This Kansas professor criticised ID and its proponents and plans to
> offer
> a course titled "Special Topics in Religion: Intelligent Design,
> Creationism and other Religious Mythologies" putting ID where it
> rightly
> belongs: in courses about religion.
>

> Actually, I *hate* to burst your bubble :-; but ID could well
> belong in courses on science related to whether or not we were (a)
> setup as an evolutionary experiment (as I pointed out in various
> MBrain discussiosn -- 'natural' evolution may be able to explore
> certain computational development paths better than 'designed'
> computation can); (b) whether the universe itself is based upon
> cellular automata -- recently discussed by Kurzweil based on work
> by Fredkin & Wolfram in TSIN; and/or (c) whether or not "we" are
> completely running in a simulation (ala the Matrix et al) [after
> all an MBrain can most likely support > 10^24 human brains].

  I am not seeing your point.  The above might make for interesting
speculation but it is certainly not validated scientific theory as is
evolution.  I don't see why the above should be taught in a biology
class.  It might better fit in a philosophy of science setting.  Pure
speculation is not science.

> It is worth pointing out that the above ID scenarios are *not*
> going to make people falling into the "creationist" frame of mind
> particularly happy.  Added to the discussion they do however turn
> ID vs. Evolution into something which merits serious consideration.

That is not equivalent to saying that such speculations should be
taught in high school biology classes or presented  as being on equal
footing with well-established theory.

  - samantha