[extropy-chat] wretched journalists strike again

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Dec 12 15:31:19 UTC 2005

At 07:39 PM 12/12/2005 +1100, Brett wrote:

>>Finally, an idea worth talking about in reality (as it's been talked
>>about for many decades in sf), and of course some NYT morons declare that
>>it "may turn your stomach". (They mean "might turn", but hey.) Yep, so
>>much more vomitous than killing animals, pulling off their skin, scooping
>>out their guts, then cutting up their dead muscle to eat.
>
>You've not provided a link Damien. I could find the December 11 New York
>Times article but on the basis of what you've posted I can't say I'm surprised
>either at the claim or the content <snip>
>
>Journos that don't have scientific training are as gullible are
>non-journos that
>don't have scientific training AND they have a bias towards having a story to
>report over not having one.

NOT my point.

Which is: why should such a welcome development (if true) be spun as
something that will "turn your stomach"?--that's what I'm bleating.

Well, I suppose the point might simply be that for a majority of people
lab-grown protein *will* turn their stomachs, and that people like us (who
I presume will applaud the replacement of killed animals by insentient
vat-meat) just have to get that, and work around it.

Damien Broderick