[extropy-chat] Consciousness is a process in multi-dimensional time! [Was: Qualia Bet]

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 20:51:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:28:26 -0500, Marc Geddes <marc.geddes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Right.  Proto-Qualia exist in objects.  Qualia does exist objectively,
> but *not* as a primary property of physical objects.

I want to call these proto-qualia 'objective qualia' and say that it takes
a suitably equipped being to detect them. I want to say fried green
tomatoes are objectively green (at least before they are fried) and that
any being with eyes to see should be able to see their green-ness.

I want to reject the notion of a Cartesian Theater in which we represent
the external world to ourselves via something analogous to a subjective
movie screen, and say instead that the mind experiences the world
directly. As I mentioned in another message, the Cartesian Theater leads
to an infinite regress. If I am the 'little person' or 'homunculus' inside
my head who watches these subjective movies about my external world, then
shouldn't I have yet another subjective movie and another homunculus
inside my homunculus? And so on and so on? :)

This is not to say we have no mental models of ourselves in the world. I
think we do have these models but that they are tools of intelligence
rather than of awareness. I think we experience the world and then form
mental models about our experience.  The mental models help us solve
problems. They help us (or our  future AI robots) to answer the question,
"What should I do about my experience?" but they are not prerequisites to
experience.

So are these proto-qualia platonic? Seems reasonable to me. This makes
them objective, even if we may dispute whether they are really 'in' the
objects of our experience. I would say they are in the object in the same
way that the idealized platonic sphere is 'in' a baseball.

> I can eliminate a subjective component from my definition.  Let me define
> Qualia as composed of a combination of a Meme and an object.

Do you ever question your theory for reason of it being so complicated?
Seven-aspect neutral monism?? What are these seven different aspects of
the one neutral stuff? I confess I have not yet studied your paper in
detail, but perhaps you can give me a hint.

-gts