Extropian politics/was Re: [extropy-chat] letter concerning presidential growth

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Fri Dec 16 03:58:16 UTC 2005

On Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:48 PM spike spike66 at comcast.net wrote:
> No.  A week of political posts will not destroy the
> list, otherwise we would have destroyed ourselves a
> hundred times over.  If people have something to say
> that is not particularly extropian, say it this week
> then let it go.  We don't want this to be a primarily
> political list (too boring, not productive) but I see
> little harm (and some benefit) from suggesting a
> short well-defined time for a political free-for-all.
>
> The war is weighing heavily on all of us.  True we
> could go elsewhere to discuss this important matter,
> but Harvey man, we have grown up together have we
> not?  You, me, a lot of us who have been hanging out
> on extropians for years, we are among friends here,
> we are among people who understand us, people who
> do not flee in panic when we start talking about having
> our heads frozen.  This is where we want to have our
> discussions.  So let us have this one.  For a week,
> keep it civil, then let it go.

I agree.  That said, though, what political system do you -- any of
you -- think is most conducive to increasing extropy?  What can be done
inside existing political systems to increase extropy?

Regards,

Dan
http://uweb1.superlink.net/~neptune/

"A ruling class need not be monolithic, however.  In fact, most ruling
classes are divided into two broad factions, which we may call the
political class and the corporate class.  The political class comprises
those who are in direct control of running the state - politicians,
civil servants, and the like; the corporate class, on the other hand,
comprises the wealthy quasi-private beneficiaries of state power - the
collectors of subsidies, government contracts, and grants of monopoly
privilege.  These two groups might be called the Bureaucrats and the
Plutocrats." -- Roderick Long, "Can We Escape the Ruling Class?"
http://libertariannation.org/a/f21l2.html