[extropy-chat] Stem Cell Debacle

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 18:20:17 UTC 2005

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> At least nine of 11 stem cell colonies used in a
> landmark research paper by
> Dr Hwang Woo-suk were faked, said Roh Sung-il, who
> collaborated on the paper.
>
> Dr Hwang has agreed to ask the US journal Science to
> withdraw his paper on
> stem cell cloning, Mr Roh said."
>
> What a damned shame.

I agree that sucks. But I am encouraged that it
honestly worked 2 out of 11 times. It shows it is
possible. We just have to figure out how to make it
more efficient but first we have to win the right to
do the research at all. I think the whole field would
benefit greatly from a technological innovation that
would allow women to donate eggs with a less invasive
procedure.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. . ."

- Albert Einstein, "What I Believe" (1930)