[extropy-chat] my country, right or wrong

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 18 01:09:30 UTC 2005

--- Rik van Riel <riel at surriel.com> wrote:

> Private "militaries" have been nothing but trouble
> in countries
> where they are common, eg. Somalia, Colombia,
> southern Russia.

Militaries in general, private or otherwise, have been
nothing but trouble.

In an earlier time they were the "tribal" followers of
a charismatic psychotically-ambitious alpha male.  In
that role they would do anything to anyone for the big
dog.  Since the civil war, when the industrial
production of war materiel first became a dominating
strategic factor, but most pointedly since the end of
WW2, the linkage of profit to militarism has
penetrated like a cancer to the farthest reaches of
the planet, corrupting just governance and turning the
entire place into an abattoir.

Best, Jeff Davis

"We're a band of higher primates stuck on the surface
of an atmosphere-hazed dirtball. I can associate with
that. I certainly can't identify with which patch of
the dirtball I currently happen to be on, and which
monkey tribe happens to reside therein.

Only by taking the big view we can make it a common
dream, and then a reality. It's worth it."
                               Eugen Leitl