HM Re: [extropy-chat] TheNeoConMind-Trick(wasletterconcerningpresidential growth)

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sun Dec 18 23:11:53 UTC 2005

>> Herb Martin wrote:
>> > The UN Security Council voted UNANIMOUSLY in binding
>> > resolution 1441 that Iraq was in breach AND to require
>> > Saddam to comply.
>> >
>> > No subsequent resolution was every voted and so it
>> > remained the controlling resolution -- understood by
>> > all who voted as authorizing force.
>>
>> How much would you like to bet with me that the above
>> statement is true?  I say it is false and I stand ready to
>> accept your money if you chose to put it where your
>> mouth is.
>>
>> Or to accept your apology and deem you a man of honour
>> if you wish to retract the statement on this list upon educating
>> yourself.
>>
>> Or to hold you in the appropriate amount of small regard
>> should you do neither.

[A lot of additional words from Mr Martin snipped out
 and still available in his post ]

> That it authorized war is open to discussion ...

No longer between you and I Mr Herb Martin as the above
statement you've made and which I have challenged you on
is false, resolution 1441 was not understood by all who signed
it to authorise force and I think your above comment about
it being "open to discussion" shows that you know that.

I will credit no further words from you as being true when
you are unwilling to stand behind the statements you have
already made.  Whether others do is a matter for them.

For others I offer this refute to your false statement.

1441 was unanimous in its entirety. It unanimously granted
Iraq "one final opportunity", the duration and expiration of
which was not the US President's right to unilaterally
determine. The Security Council was "seized of the matter".

Under the operative provisions of the UN Charter signed
and ratified by the US Senate and therefore under the
provisions of the US Constitution and by his oath of office
President Bush, was obliged NOT to instigate the use of
military force on that same matter without the Security Council
determining the end of that final opportunity.

That a further resolution was required was the reason why
a further resolution was sought by the United States and the
United Kingdom.

Brett Paatsch